The information below pertains to the 2017 Photo Contest.
Every year this contest attracts a new group of competent photographers. Alongside some veterans, these present excellent images for use in our media, promotion, and also the Image Library. So the contest is rewarding to both the ADS and the participating photographer – after all, there are some nice cash prizes, and the recognition in the ADS Bulletin make the effort worthwhile. And then try your hand at editing photos (for all classes you are permitted to change things like brightness and cropping). Remember: Only in Class 8 are you allowed to follow artistic urges to alteration.
- Competition is open to anyone; ADS membership is not required
- Photos must be the contestant’s own work
- All images must have been taken during the 2016 or 2017 growing season
- Images must be representative of the entered class; dahlias must predominate
- Each entrant may submit no more than THREE images in each class.
- Class number is required for identification of class entered
- Each entry must be marked as follows
Submit separate text file listing entries by file name in addition to your name, class number, and description. Make sure to distinguish between 0 (zero) and O and check your list against the files entered!
- Shorten filenames to fewer than 10 characters! Don’t include your name there.
- Files must be in .jpg format. Photos should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi for best reproduction. All digital images submitted must be readable by PC-based applications.
- Photos entered in classes other than Class 8 that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- Failure to follow the rules will result in the disqualification of the affected entry. In cases where more than 3 images for a given class are submitted, all such entries are disqualified in the class.
- Entries must be submitted on CD, DVD or flash drive. You also may submit a maximum of 8 images via Email attachment (do not embed in the text).
- A properly filled-out entry form must accompany the submission, along with any other documentation required by the class entered. For Emailed submissions, please mail the form to the contest chair’s address below. Once received, you will get an Email acknowledging receipt of files and the form.
Awards (to be awarded in each class)
FIRST PLACE: $20
HONORABLE MENTION: Certificate of Honorable Mention
A special cash award will be given for the Best Photo of the Year!
- INTRODUCTIONS OR UNDISSEMINATED DAHLIAS – introductions of the past two growing seasons or unnamed seedlings. Only one variety should appear in the image, and petals should not extend beyond the picture edge.
- DAHLIA PORTRAITS – any single dahlia listed in the Classification Handbook or past ADS listings. Only one variety should appear in the image; petals should not extend beyond the picture edge. Dahlia variety must be identified.
- BLOOMS OF TWO OR MORE VARIETIES – make sure to identify these
- DAHLIA GARDENS – note location of garden and identify any persons shown
- DAHLIA SHOWS AND CLUBS – pictures of club events and any dahlia exhibition accepted (no photos of individual entries, please). Identify recognizable individuals and location or club
- MACRO VIEW – close-up of part of a dahlia bloom or plant; may include insects or other interesting elements relating to dahlia culture
- KIDS & CRITTERS – dahlias must be prominent in image to qualify
- DIGITAL DARKROOM – creative use of dahlia photography using Photoshop or other software applications to enhance image or form special effects. Please specify technique and program used.
- DAHLIA PERSONALITIES – any clearly recognizable individuals qualify, so long as their relationship to dahlia culture is identified with the image
All images will be judged on several criteria of photographic excellence. If an entry does not merit an award, it will not get one even if it is the only one submitted in its class.
The photographer grants the ADS a royalty-free non-exclusive license to use and reproduce the submitted photographic image(s) solely for use in ADS publications, the ADS image library, and on the ADS website (in low resolution) for archival or educational purposes. The ADS also may use photos for illustrating news stories, displays, or other promotional materials with proper photo credit. The photographer retains the copyright for the photographic images.
No further use of the material may be made in other publications or other purpose without the written consent of the photographer. Winning and selected other images will be retained by the appropriate ADS committee.
All entries may be mailed in one envelope to the contest chair
1317 N 183rd Street
Shoreline, WA 98133
Emailed entries go to: ADSphoto@msn.com
Entries must be received no later than Thursday, November 30, 2017. Due to holidays and peak mail season be sure to put package in transit before the Thanksgiving holiday!