We Love Dahlias!
The American Dahlia Society (ADS) was founded in 1915 and is composed of over 70 independent local societies in the US and Canada.
We are a non-profit organization founded for the purpose of stimulating interest in, disseminating information about, and promoting the culture and development of, the dahlia.
If you also love dahlias, please consider joining the ADS. You may join "at large" from this site, but for a more exciting experience, join ADS (and receive a discount) via a local society. Find a society in your area by using the ADS Societies button above or to the right. In a local society you will meet dahlia enthusiasts, learn first-hand from local growers, and have a lot of fun!
* * *
Member Photographers Needed
* * *
The Dahlia Genome Project - Volunteers Needed by January 25th
Kristine Albrecht from the Monterey Bay Dahlia Society is working with the American Dahlia Society (ADS) on a project to sequence the dahlia genome. To date, over $32,000 has been raised toward the cost of this project and Dr. Virginia Walbot from Stanford, and Dr. Hanu Pappu from Washington State University are writing a National Science Foundation Grant to help. One of the grant requirements is an educational component around dahlias in the school setting.
Kristine is seeking one volunteer from a number of local ADS dahlia societies who would be willing to grow three dark-stemmed dahlia plants and deliver them to the chosen school in your area. The target date for delivery of the plants is Spring of 2018. If you think this is something your society might be interested in being a part of, please complete the volunteer application attached here. If you have questions, contact Kristine directly at the email address on the application. Thank you.
For more information on the Genome Project in general...read more
- Info about the 2017 National Show posted.
- Norm Anselmo, hybridizer of Inland Dynasty, passes away 1/13/2017.
- Updated insurance forms available (members only)
- December Bulletin (including Show Report supplement) available (members only)
- 2016 Seedling Bench Evaluation results available.
- 2016 Fab 50 and Cream of the Crop lists are posted.
- 2016 Trial Garden results available.
- Need help writing press releases for your local society? Help (for members only).
- What are your tubers really thinking? Enjoy this humorous answer.
- Updated 2016->2017 Classification Change Requests posted on
May we recommend...
Our new section on Species Dahlias. View.